Yummy, with a capital Y!
National Grape Popsicle Day
Five Food Finds about Popsicles
- Popsicles were originally marketed as “a frozen drink on a stick”.
- Popsicles originally came in seven flavors thought to be root beer, cherry, lemon, orange, banana, grape, and watermelon, but there is no official record of Epperson’s original flavors.
- The most popular Popsicle flavor is Cherry.
- More than two billion Popsicles are sold each year.
- The dual Popsicle featuring two sticks and one Popsicle that could be split in half was introduced during the Great Depression as a way to split the treat across two children for the same cost.
Today’s Food History
on this day in…
1901 Conrad Arnold Elvehjem Born. American biochemist who identified nicotinic acid as a vitamin (one of the B vitamins), and that a deficiency on nicotinic acid resulted in the disease pellagra.
1907 Rachel Louise Carson was born; author of ‘Silent Spring.’ An American biologist…
View original post 116 more words