This just evoked all kinds of yummy thoughts and a bit of lip smacking. I think I’ll bake a cookie or two today!
National Sugar Cookie Day
Five Food Finds about Cookies
- American cookie jars evolved from British biscuit jars and first appeared on the scene during the Depression in the 1930s when housewives began making more cookies at home, rather than buying them at the bakery, and needed containers for them.
- Early American tinsmiths began making cookie cutters by hand back in the 1700s.
- The U.S. has a National Cookie Cutter Historical Museum located within the Joplin Museum Complex in Joplin, Missouri.
- In 1989, New Mexico named the ‘bizcochito’ its official state cookie. Bizcochito, derived from the spanish word ‘bizcocho’ which means biscuit, is a delicious shortbread cookie flavored with anise and topped with cinnamon sugar.
- The U.S. leads the world as the biggest cookie bakers and eaters, spending more than $550 million annually on Oreos alone.
Today’s Food History
on this day in…
1766 Jacob Perkins was born. Perkins was issued…
View original post 217 more words